VCR Recording Popping Audio Problem

likeomgman

Hello! I recorded some footage on a VHS-C Tape and am trying to digitize it using a USB 2.0 dongle. For everyone else the audio comes in great but for me there's these super loud popping/crackling noises and I cant get rid of it no matter what I do. Those sounds are not on the original footage only when I try to convert them do they show up. Not sure if its a settings problem or a hardware/dongle problem. Hoping someone here can help me fix this. Thank you!

Logs: https://obsproject.com/logs/L-UKfvXSZFCW2T9q (I hope these are the right logs)

Video in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_MaX80htUU

Dick Dawson

I have some audio experience in life and things like this can happen when the computer is having to go from say 16 bit 48 on one source and maybe 24 bit on another. I would suggest going into control panel, the old one, and set all of your audio sources to the same bit and sample rate. 16 bit 48 (DVD quality) will do you good IMO. That sound on the YT video does kind of have a bad driver thing going on maybe as well. Would be worth trying a different one.

likeomgman

I have some audio experience in life and things like this can happen when the computer is having to go from say 16 bit 48 on one source and maybe 24 bit on another. I would suggest going into control panel, the old one, and set all of your audio sources to the same bit and sample rate. 16 bit 48 (DVD quality) will do you good IMO. That sound on the YT video does kind of have a bad driver thing going on maybe as well. Would be worth trying a different one.
So it seems like the dongle I use records in 96000hz and OBS is at 48000hz. The mic is locked at 96000hz and obs highest is 48000hz so im not really sure what to do now. The logs say its because of a Mismatched Sample Rates.
1665079275569.png

Dick Dawson

What kind of mic is it? brand and model. Same for the capture device. There might be, in advanced settings in control panel, a way to change or maybe there is a driver that can help. knowing the gear being used will help a lot.

Dick Dawson

Does it happen to be plugged into a hub? I would also try other USB ports if u have. A lot of people seem to get these units in a damaged state as well, judging by what I see online. You might be fighting a no win battle with a defective unit. But worth trying USB ports.
So, just to be sure, in old control panel there was no changing its bit and sample rate in the advanced tab?

likeomgman

Does it happen to be plugged into a hub? I would also try other USB ports if u have. A lot of people seem to get these units in a damaged state as well, judging by what I see online. You might be fighting a no win battle with a defective unit. But worth trying USB ports.
So, just to be sure, in old control panel there was no changing its bit and sample rate in the advanced tab?
Not plugged into a hub. I've tried other usb ports still no luck. The bit and sample rate was grayed out locked with no other options. I have ordered the elgato version to see if maybe that will work.

Dick Dawson

Not plugged into a hub. I've tried other usb ports still no luck. The bit and sample rate was grayed out locked with no other options. I have ordered the elgato version to see if maybe that will work.
An Elgato will be fine as it will have the ability to be setup properly for sure. Good call I say.

Dick Dawson

Funny too. On our live streams on YT (The Shills) we use the you're still here gag from Ferris's day off. Just saw your YT banner. Nice.