Question / Help srt live stream wont start

mpb072013

I have been unable to start an srt live stream on obs. It worked earlier today and i changed nothing but it suddenly stopped working. I would appreciate some help resolving this problem :). Logs below

Attachments

• 2020-04-25 09-55-08.txt
    10.5 KB · Views: 191

mpb072013

this is a test stream, my intent is to eventually stream to friends online using my public ip. btw in the log it says srt://127.0.0.1:1935?listener, but i tested srt://127.0.0.1:1935?mode=listener as well.

mpb072013

it ends up softlocking obs, also here is a more up to date log file using srt://127.0.0.1:1935?mode=listener where the stream button gets frozen.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 2020-04-25 10-21-19.txt
    6.1 KB · Views: 71

vapeahoy

Ah I haven't had enough coffee today. SRT. Well SRT isnt supported anywhere yet is it ? on platforms for streaming i mean. So why use it?
what server platform do you have for it? IE, i wouldn't expect this to run stable any time soon at all. SRT is very much early days. I can't wait tho, but it's certainly going to take a while.

mpb072013

it currently functions on vlc media player, i had it working earlier today but my obs then just decided to stop working and no longer works with srt for some reason which is what i am trying to fix. i even started a vm with a fresh install of obs and it doesnt work with srt the way im using it for some odd reason.

mpb072013

removing "?mode=listener" seemed to fix it, but it was working with it before, I need that in order to host the stream to any viewers, any ideas?

vapeahoy

Well something has changed. You're just not remembering it or have been unaware of what you have done at some point.
Or something is overriding the change or enforcing new/old vs what u *think* you have set. Seems to be a challenge with port 1935 and 1936 in the log. Firewall rule set? I use 1935 for rtmp.

mpb072013

i portforwarded and fixed my firewall for unreal media server when i was using that for live streaming on rtmp, i have since deleted it and there is no trace of it on my system. in my testing earlier today i used port 4201 locally just so see if it worked and it did, just testing it now it gives me that invalid path warning.

vapeahoy

Well if SRT currently could be intertwined with nginx or a similar solution, i'd probably jump in there make at least a working setup, but i just dont see the point atm. It's good to learn new stuff, but i fear the current state of the SRT enviroment is unstable and feature lacking. It's also not clear to me that it will be the one to take over for rtmp as there's other competitors.

Anyway, check event log viewer, double check any config files and or any files u dont know what does and their contents for potential culprits.
If you still can't find anything, the problem is elsewhere. I assume you've run as admin and stuff? says no in the log tho.

mpb072013

thank you for the help :), i have tried running it as admin but no luck. I guess i will wait a few months and come back to see if it works.

vapeahoy

thank you for the help :), i have tried running it as admin but no luck. I guess i will wait a few months and come back to see if it works.

It's going to be great!

What we need is a open source base to work from that allows us to fill the role that rtmp does. Without it, we won't have a community around it. The closed source solutions are going to die, of course, so yes we'll just have to wait and see. Indeed, who wants to win it.
The only reason for me to switch to SRT would be to get lower latency from game to encoder to live. Maybe no need for third party security layers. Currently the pipeline i got is a matter of a few seconds.
And i can decrease that time by lowering quality from lossless to encoder, or things like upgrading the cpu in encoder pc. But it's like 4 seconds latency throughout the whole pipeline already. So it's like.. yeah... Will probably shave off more with just next gen chipsets or ddr5 next year.
A replacement for rtmp is way overdue tho, by like 5 years. It's just that rtmp works really really well and can be upgraded with modules that are important such as openssl, so it has the ability to stay current.
The funny thing is that RTMP is also a good benchmark tool, as by it's very nature it measures your whole pipeline latency.
I recall when i did my initial tests with it, and was like 12-15 second latency, unbearable. So i expect when SRT comes up to par to where it needs to be, it will all be instant ;)

vapeahoy

Well, the last update for SRT Live server, the open source free option was april 7th. So nothing has happened since then.
mpb072013 posted this on april 25th, and already had problems then. I fear that the current world crisis may have affected development here.
So we should keep an eye on this and hope it starts up again so we can try new builds, but seeing as the current state is not working too well, apparently, for now RTMP remains the option here. I can't see there's another opensource alternative that's free atm, so the only option remains to pay for one of the other alternatives. Which it just isn't worth.

groovinhouse

I'd like to point out that SRT is neither new nor immature it's only new to OBS. SRT is an open-source broadcast industry transport that boast superior quality while maintaining low latency. It was originally intended for professional environments so it lacks the point and click simplicity of browser based solutions that typical YouTubers prefer. However, because of the current situation SRT has caught-on-fire and now everyone (starting with core network streaming services) are rushing to implement it.
That being said, I too have failed to get it to work in OBS. It works fine on IOS devices using dedicated software like Haivision Player Pro or Larix Broadcaster while using the same settings but it's a no-go in OBS so far in my brief experiments.