Question / Help So, there´s no way to control a media file ? Stop, Pause, FF, Rew...

Once a media file ( video ) is launched, looks like there´s no way to pause, play, fast forward and rewind the video.
Nor when making a playlist, choose the next file to be played after the list has begun ?
This is terrible for me, because I usually want to broadcast talking about some artists songs, and I make a playlist, but while on air, some music often needs to be skipped, and BTW the playlist begins only with the first file, we can´t choose the sequence on a playlist, am I wrong ?

Thanks !

koala

The media sources within OBS are almost completely noninteractive. They just play. The only interaction is that you can make them restart at the beginning if they are activated (scene becomes active or you click the eye button of that source).

For better interaction you probably have to use an external media player app. For better sound control within OBS, I recommend you install a virtual audio device such as VB-Cable https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm and configure your media player to output on that virtual audio device. This is the device you capture with OBS, so you have your own source just for that player, so you can adjust volume and add filters as you like. Interaction takes place in the actual media player.

To transparently listen to this intermediate virtual audio device in your Windows desktop, activate the "Listen to that device" feature for it, described in this article: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/126383-listen-microphone-through-playback-device-windows.html

More information about audio handling see this guide: https://obsproject.com/forum/resour...audio-sources-off-your-stream-or-recording.8/

The media sources within OBS are almost completely noninteractive. They just play. The only interaction is that you can make them restart at the beginning if they are activated (scene becomes active or you click the eye button of that source).

For better interaction you probably have to use an external media player app. For better sound control within OBS, I recommend you install a virtual audio device such as VB-Cable https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm and configure your media player to output on that virtual audio device. This is the device you capture with OBS, so you have your own source just for that player, so you can adjust volume and add filters as you like. Interaction takes place in the actual media player.

To transparently listen to this intermediate virtual audio device in your Windows desktop, activate the "Listen to that device" feature for it, described in this article: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/126383-listen-microphone-through-playback-device-windows.html

More information about audio handling see this guide: https://obsproject.com/forum/resour...audio-sources-off-your-stream-or-recording.8/

Thanks for this wonderful information. I had used VLC in the past ( Looks like VLC only works in OBS 64bits to a certain VLC version release, am I wrong ? ), and I was using a real mixer to conduct the audio ( VLC audio was sent to the mixer, and the output to the mixer was sending to the audio capture device, but this involves keeping the mixer on, which is not good, because my mixer is a big studio mixer and consumes too much electrical power. Using the virtual cable could solve that. And, as you said, the control is only made by an external software like VLC. OBS would be the only only to conduct these videos ( A crude broadcaster ). But it would be nice if the guys could implement these features ( A bar control, play pause, stop. FF, REW bellow the OBS windows ). It would be great !

FerretBomb

You can control video playback by using hotkeys. You can Play/Pause, Stop, Next, Previous, Mute/Unmute for "Video Source", "VLC Video Source" and "Image Slides".
In 2019, when this thread was started, playback control was not yet implemented. Why resurrect an old post?

chonk

No, please.. this is exactly the info I was looking for, and seems to be the top/only pertinent search result! Would you mind elaborating a bit on how to use hot keys to pause, play, fast forward, and rewind on a "Video source?" I'm having some trouble figuring this new feature out.

Thank you

Brian

I was looking for this information and I arrived here. Today I discovered playback control with hotkeys, so I thought I have some information that I wanted to share. If it doesn't correspond, I'll delete the post.

In 2019, when this thread was started, playback control was not yet implemented. Why resurrect an old post?

Because he and many people didn´t know. I didn´t know, and I thank him for answering that. This information may not be useful to you, but for most of us certainly is.

Mario Mey

No, please.. this is exactly the info I was looking for, and seems to be the top/only pertinent search result! Would you mind elaborating a bit on how to use hot keys to pause, play, fast forward, and rewind on a "Video source?" I'm having some trouble figuring this new feature out.

I'm glad that it was usefull for you and the others! Sorry to tell you that there is no way to FFWD/REW with this technique... and maybe with no other one. You will have to use VLC outside OBS and capture that window. I think it's the best you can do. Don't forget to detach video window from controls and/or turn OSD off.

hjdx

You can control video playback by using hotkeys. You can Play/Pause, Stop, Next, Previous, Mute/Unmute for "Video Source", "VLC Video Source" and "Image Slides".

Thank-you so much for this! It is exactly the answer I was looking for!

Thank you

Brian

I went to Settings / HotKeys and scrolled down to Media Source. I've chosen in Play and Pause to use the space key (like youtube) and so I just clicked in the box and pressed space for both. I don't see a fast forward or rewind option though, but you can restart the video...

bscarter11

Newtek just released a VLC plugin within there NDI Tools. It lets you set VLC to output video and sound to NDI, which you can set as a source in OBS. Then you have full control over the playback at full resolution, but can make the vlc window as small as you want, even just the controls at the bottom.

LeonardoObs

dito
Think reposting update the search engine too. So found the hot key features very help to control, yes limited but looking for alternate method or need to write my own script to handle operation.

Mario Mey

Hi, there. Now I'm using two ways to control videos:

Media Controls Plugin.

This Pull Request: " UI: Combined source context menu and media controls #2886 ". Maybe some near future, we will see this PR in master.

Gr8DJ

I don't know if this is the right thread but I am wondering how I can create a video version of a slide show? By this, I mean selecting multiple videos into one scene, much like a picture slide show, with the ability to switch videos by assigning a hotkey, just like in a slideshow. Does that make sense?

I've installed VLC but that doesn't accomplish this. I also installed Docs > Media Controls and that still does not accomplish this.

Any advice to steps that I am missing?

nicwillu

I don't know if this is the right thread but I am wondering how I can create a video version of a slide show? By this, I mean selecting multiple videos into one scene, much like a picture slide show, with the ability to switch videos by assigning a hotkey, just like in a slideshow. Does that make sense?

I've installed VLC but that doesn't accomplish this. I also installed Docs > Media Controls and that still does not accomplish this.

Any advice to steps that I am missing?

You can accomplish that with https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/advanced-scene-switcher.395/ and macros :) We use that for our TV show. If we want two videos playing after one eachother, we just put the next video in preview and autoswitch when media stopped playing. But you can also macro them to just play in a list. You can do anything really