RAM or Video Card?

kahakura

I am configuring my PC to be able to take input from 4 VidCams concurrently.
4 VidCam inputs. 4 Scenes.

LIVE CAPTURE:
How will a more powerful video card affect performance during live recording?
Does the live recording processing of video occur in RAM or on the Video Card?

EDITING
How will a more powerful video card affect performance during Editing?
Does Editing processing of video occur in RAM or on the Video Card?

Last edited:

Lawrence_SoCal

This is NOT my area of expertise, but there are multiple levels of decoding and encoding involved

And beware there is Video RAM (vRAM) on the GPU (graphics/video card)
From camera to computer
- for example, common for USB connected devices to compress video (and uncompressing often done in CPU, I believe).. though probably depends.
- there are multiple other connection technologies (HDMI, SGI, NDI, RTSP, etc) and video protocols (H.364, H.265, etc) which all come into play
and part of where vide decoding takes place depends on the specific driver involved on the receiving end (ex USB connected HDMI capture 'card')
Your other thread mentions connecting via different technology (USB connected device, native webcam, and capture device), so the getting the video onto the computer, and available for OBS Studio may not follow same processing path (CPU vs GPU)

Now, once OBS Studio has it as a Source, then there is both rendering/compositing and then Encoding for output to a Recording (or Stream)
and this is where I look to others for a better explanation

Ideally, those incoming video streams would be handed off to GPU Decode offload, and then any Recording/Streaming sent to GPU Encode offload. And here, nVIdia tends to work much better than AMD (due to AMD consciously choosing to under-invest in H.264 encoding with is what most streaming platforms use. For Recording, not streaming, using H.265 or AV1 the analysis is a bit different) Newer encoding protocols/standards take a LOT more computational power to enable the higher compression ratios.

As for Editing, it depends on which software you use. The 2 largest/best known would be Adobe Premier and DaVinci Resolve. Resolve is known to use the GPU more... so it depends. And higher resolution video takes more RAM (both motherboard/CPU connected, and vRAM) 4K video takes a lot more than 1080p... so how much... depends

A more powerful GPU makes video editing smoother, and rendering output faster... as a gross generality. BUT... how much you need depends on your patience level, how you value your time vs cash, and the editing software. For 1080p30 content, most modern system will be ok for non-professional/simple editing. A key consideration is the ability of the computer CPU, RAM, Disk I/O, and GPU to keep up/enable real-time editing (ie, no visible waiting for end-user on the editing software User Interface)... which is distinct from Rendering final output. Move up to 4K, and then hardware resource demands go up significantly. Recently 8K video is possible with latest mirrorless cameras and that TAKES a huge amount of modern processing (can 'cripple' a professional dedicated US$5-10K editing rig depending on exact usage, settings, details, etc)

Suslik V

Short version of the info posted above

Real-time capture:
if video card has special encoder chip then it helps and helps a lot (from best to worst: NVIDIA, Intel, AMD);
if video card has special encoder chip then this video card can encode raw material, if there is no special chip in your video card - CPU will do all the job in the RAM.

Post-processing:
if video card has ability to accelerate decoding (all your raw material was encoded during real-time capture) then your editing will be more smooth (faster seeking, faster preview of layered tracks stacked over/under etc), but it all depends on the software you are using;
Usually CPU prepares data (what should be shown) - GPU displays it. Sometimes your editing can be done in command line only (no live preview) and without help from GPU. Free tools for editing usually depends more on speed of CPU and RAM.