Question / Help No audio input whatsoever (/w settings screenshots)

Sheikah1

I wanted to record my system audio in OBS using IShowUCapture. Yesterday, after having spent 3 hours (not my ideal day off!) tweaking settings and trying several different instruction sets, I was successful in having OBS capture my system audio.

However, this morning I launched OBS, and again the volume bars are dead! (This time I made sure none of the volume bars were unintentionally "hidden", as in yesterday.) I don't think OBS receives any audio. (No microphones, nothing.) Is there something wrong with my settings in Mojave?

Attachments

• System settings.jpg
    System settings.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 69
  • OBS Settings.jpg
    OBS Settings.jpg
    836.4 KB · Views: 121

hpJME

I've been having the same issue and found a solution that worked for me on https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/9lwyz0/mojave_not_privacy_settings_blocking_all_mic/

I had to:
1. restart my mac in recovery mode (restart then hold down Command+R while it's starting up)
2. open terminal (at the top of the recover screen, click utilities, then terminal)
3. enter "csrutil disable" (no quotes)
4. restart normally
5. login and open terminal
6. enter "sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.apple.TCC" (no quotes, for me i needed to add the sudo command for it to work)
7. log out, then log back in (allows for changes to take place)
8. open OBS.
9. after adding the built-in-microphone, there should be a pop up that asks for microphone permissions, click OK
10. after adding the face time webcam, there should be another pop up for webcam permissions, click OK

hope this works for you :)

Narcogen

Users that are not aware of the ramifications should absolutely not disable SIP (System Integrity Protection) nor should they be advised to delete Apple system files!

The above process *might* have been necessary around the time of the Mojave beta, but it certainly isn't now.

Sheikah1

Then what would you have suggested then if rebooting and banging my head against the wall didn't fuk it? Somehow I got OBS to recognize system sound again. Uninstalled OBS and reinstalled everything. Maybe it will stop working again someday. All I can say it has been a horrible experience, most certainly not time well spent and my patience is running low. Almost 8 hours lost, for what? I'm sure it was Apple that was doing this to me, after all the crap they've put me through! We live in 2020 and Apple still doesn't understand why people like to do screencaptures and record system audio! Hence you have to work out dubious solutions with third-party apps such as Soundflower/IShowU. Last month I called Apple support to ask about a broken Finder and the APFS integrity errors when trying to partition a drive, hence broken Finder, hence no Bootcamp! They had me 40 minutes on the phone trying to explain to me which keys to hold down during startup. They didn't know the Mac needed a shutdown, not restart, for these keys to work! Oh, and one day the Mac wouldn't accept my password. My system is in french. So that means I must have a AZERTY, not QWERTY keyboard! It's impossible to login into Mojave with a QWERTY keyboard, if your system is in french! It's impossible to change it from system settings. What I'm asking for are Simple things! Apple has a decent support network, unlike Samsung for instance, but boy do their Macs suck.

hpJME

Users that are not aware of the ramifications should absolutely not disable SIP (System Integrity Protection) nor should they be advised to delete Apple system files!

The above process *might* have been necessary around the time of the Mojave beta, but it certainly isn't now.
Thank you for pointing that out, sorry for not giving that advice in my original post.

I had to use this work around with the 24.0.6 version of OBS while running Mojave 10.14.5. It was definitely an Apple issue and not an OBS issue because I tried downloading and installing an alternative to OBS and still had the same issues. That's what drove me to the reddit solution.

hpJME

Then what would you have suggested then if rebooting and banging my head against the wall didn't fuk it? Somehow I got OBS to recognize system sound again. Uninstalled OBS and reinstalled everything. Maybe it will stop working again someday. All I can say it has been a horrible experience, most certainly not time well spent and my patience is running low. Almost 8 hours lost, for what? I'm sure it was Apple that was doing this to me, after all the crap they've put me through! We live in 2020 and Apple still doesn't understand why people like to do screencaptures and record system audio! Hence you have to work out dubious solutions with third-party apps such as Soundflower/IShowU. Last month I called Apple support to ask about a broken Finder and the APFS integrity errors when trying to partition a drive, hence broken Finder, hence no Bootcamp! They had me 40 minutes on the phone trying to explain to me which keys to hold down during startup. They didn't know the Mac needed a shutdown, not restart, for these keys to work! Oh, and one day the Mac wouldn't accept my password. My system is in french. So that means I must have a AZERTY, not QWERTY keyboard! It's impossible to login into Mojave with a QWERTY keyboard, if your system is in french! It's impossible to change it from system settings. What I'm asking for are Simple things! Apple has a decent support network, unlike Samsung for instance, but boy do their Macs suck.
I get what you mean :( trying to get mac stuff to work with some software can be so frustrating. Maybe if you encounter this issue again you can bring your computer into your local apple store and someone from the genius bar can help? idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ if they don't have their own solution maybe they would know if the reddit one would work for you and they should know the ramifications of deleting and disabling like Narcogen pointed out.

dchyde

Been there, done that with all of these apps. If you can get a picture/video on the screen, then you can capture it along with its audio with Macs default Quicktime Player app. It takes four clicks of the mouse and it can be saved in 4K quality.