How can i devide scene rendering between diffirent GPUs?

iLeech

I have 2x GTX 690 units in my video server.
I have alredy configured my setup to encode multiple copyes of OBS (different streams on different GPUs with NVENC, but i need to spread scene rendering load also, so i can have more room to handle more simultaneous streams.
I saw an option in advanced settings like: "renderer" and it's already set as Direct3D 11, dut i can't change it at all, and dont see a dropdown menu.
May be someone can call Devs into this thread and they could help with this ?
here is what i see:
1668540437352.png

iLeech

It's not worth the effort & you'll have much better success with a single GPU.
Here is the thing. I would, and here is why:
I have following setup:
MB: Supermicro X8DAH+-F
CPU: 2 x Xeon 5680
RAM: 16 Gb (NonBuff/NonReg/NonECC) Kingston HyperX DDR3
GPU: 2 x GTX 690 ASUS (4x GPUs in Windows)
PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 850
SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB
And my idea is use multiple instances of OBS Studio for diffirent streams (multiple diffirent CCTV cameras).
I am diong it already, but!
On my perspective setup u've seen upper, i have 4x GPUs, and one GPU can handle 4 streams( copies of OBS) simultaneously.
And what i need to do.I need to use one GPU ONLY for 4xOBS Copies at a time.
Each OBS Copy works on one GPU.
1-st copy start at GPU 0, it uses renderer of this GPU, and encode stream on this GPU.
2-4-th copies are doing the same.
5-8-th OBS copies need to use GPU 1
9-12 - GPU 2
13-16 - GPU 3.
So my idea is - change renderer for specific copy of OBS.
Did u get the idea? =)

rockbottom

I'm on v28.0.3 & it's the same, can't change the renderer. But, if I remember correctly, there was older versions of OBS that could.

Harold

Splitting rendering between multiple gpus is EXTREMELY intensive and does not offer the performance gains people seem to think it does.

Switching to the opengl renderer will reduce stability and performance and will also give other video issues.

OBS is not a suitable substitute for NVR software like Shinobi or Blue Iris.

iLeech

Splitting rendering between multiple gpus is EXTREMELY intensive and does not offer the performance gains people seem to think it does.

Switching to the opengl renderer will reduce stability and performance and will also give other video issues.

OBS is not a suitable substitute for NVR software like Shinobi or Blue Iris.
Hi! In my specific case - it is absolutely apropriate and worth it. I need to devide rendering load between multiple GPUs. And also i'm using multiple copyes of OBS for it, and right now it is working in test. Look at this. It's exactly what i was seeking for =)
All rendering load spreaded to all 4 gpus in this server. So it's ok =)
1668630285067.png

1668630328070.png

iLeech

Nice! Are you attempting to record/stream for long periods or just short bursts? Is it stable?
Look at my Youtube channel. My first two streams are working grate already 11 months!
Also i'm capturing timelaps 7 months =) Demo's of TL on channel too.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LuchiLive - here is the link.
It is stable enough, but sometimes OBS loses video stream from IP cam, and does not reconnect to it automaticaly. But this issue appears too rare. Overall - it works grate for my application. As u can see kinda =))

iLeech

an i found one pretty dumb solution! U gonna like it, i swear!
So u need to add one cmd (key) to obs exe.
--allow-opengl
And boom! You have an option where u can take OpenGL instad of D3D!
i'm already testing this stuff, so it seems my problem is near to be solved!
Also here is the topic with solution of my problem:

iLeech

The streams & GPU load look fine. Interesting Dual GPU, don't remember that particular model but they appear to be perfect for your set-up.

Oh! I think it was in specsheet of my setup.
It is GTX690 =) Works pretty fine =)

rockbottom

Yeah it was mentioned but your stuff is old school these days, had to look that stuff up.

I probably don't need to tell you but whatever you do, never update.

iLeech

Yeah it was mentioned but your stuff is old school these days, had to look that stuff up.

I probably don't need to tell you but whatever you do, never update.
i got this stuff for free from subscribers for my livecam project, so i don't think i will upgrade this set up in near future :D

.norman.

Look at my Youtube channel. My first two streams are working grate already 11 months!
Also i'm capturing timelaps 7 months =) Demo's of TL on channel too.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LuchiLive - here is the link.
It is stable enough, but sometimes OBS loses video stream from IP cam, and does not reconnect to it automaticaly. But this issue appears too rare. Overall - it works grate for my application. As u can see kinda =))
stream looks great. For reasons I cannot explain I opened both on 2 monitors full screen and watched for 30+ minutes at 3am local time. I don't know why, but I was mesmerized by it.

iLeech

stream looks great. For reasons I cannot explain I opened both on 2 monitors full screen and watched for 30+ minutes at 3am local time. I don't know why, but I was mesmerized by it.
i'm glad to hear it <3 I hope a could add more cams in my neighbourhood soon, so it will be more interesting views for all of u :3