Frame dropping with stable ISP

grepolis

Hi!

First of all, I'd like to say that I took a look at the section about "Dropped Frames And General Connection Issues", tried everything there and nothing worked.
I have been having this problem with dropped frames and it happens randomly, sometimes a couple of minutes after start streaming, sometimes takes like one or two hours, but it always occur -- the game I'm playing doesn't matter.

My PC specs:
i7 8700 (not K)
16gb RAM 2666mhz cl16
RTX 4070 TI brand new
Gigabyte B360M Aorus
1tb Nvme 3600mb/s read 3400mb/s write

I'm playing at 4k (with freesync on) and doesn't matter if I try to stream at 4k, 1440p, 1080p, 60fps or whatever combination with different bitrates (15k, 13k, 12k, 10k, 9k, 8k, 6k), that problem always happen. Also tried in different platforms, using different codecs.

Since I'm playing online games and I don't see any problem with latency on game (neither from my perception nor from the game itself numbers) I don't think it could be internet. I'm also using Discord and no voice problem in or out, no disconnects, nothing.

OBS uses like less than 1% (even setting to high and then manually on task manager setting to above or high) when I'm streaming. Game + Windows use only 10gb of RAM. vRAM at 10gb. No lag and no stuttering neither on gameplay nor on stream video (but it does stop streaming after the frame drop start).

Windows is super updated 22H2 (OS Build 22621.2134). I'm using the latest OBS version.

What could it be? HALP

Attachments

• ping1.png
    ping1.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 2023-08-23 06-52-39.txt
    20.7 KB · Views: 23

Lawrence_SoCal

Hi!

First of all, I'd like to say that I took a look at the section about "Dropped Frames And General Connection Issues", tried everything there and nothing worked.
I have been having this problem with dropped frames and it happens randomly, sometimes a couple of minutes after start streaming, sometimes takes like one or two hours, but it always occur -- the game I'm playing doesn't matter.
Have you tried Recording only (not Streaming) and confirmed your PC itself isn't struggling with some hardware resource contention or bottleneck. For example, what is overall CPU usage?

And though frame rendering dropped frames is minimal,
Since I'm playing online games and I don't see any problem with latency on game (neither from my perception nor from the game itself numbers) I don't think it could be internet. I'm also using Discord and no voice problem in or out, no disconnects, nothing.
Downstream traffic is different from upstream. Most of what we all do (and notice) is download, so ISPs focus on that. Download can be fine and upload NOT be.. Or it could be your ISP to your stream platform of choice. Have you tried streaming to a different platform?

If you tried 'everything', that means you connected your PC to another ISP. What happened then?

06:59:20.425: Output 'adv_stream': Number of dropped frames due to insufficient bandwidth/connection stalls: 6557 (32.4%)
What are you doing for real-time monitoring of your WAN/ISP link traffic? Is your computer or something else (PC, IoT device, etc) on LAN creating network traffic you don't expect?

What have you done to test sustained upload speed, to YT in your case or elsewhere (to confirm ISP isn't the issue... which it usually isn't)?

grepolis

Have you tried Recording only (not Streaming) and confirmed your PC itself isn't struggling with some hardware resource contention or bottleneck. For example, what is overall CPU usage?
It's usually 40% CPU and 30%~50% gpu, game is not really well optimized but also happens when I'm playing Forza 5, which is really well optimized and there my cpu is 99% and cpu like 50%. I have been considering buy a new cpu (5800x3d), but that would be just dec-jan

And though frame rendering dropped frames is minimal,
Downstream traffic is different from upstream. Most of what we all do (and notice) is download, so ISPs focus on that. Download can be fine and upload NOT be.. Or it could be your ISP to your stream platform of choice. Have you tried streaming to a different platform?
If upstream would be bad when the frames are dropping there's a big change that I'd be having problems to cast skills in an online game. because it uses upload to do that. Yes, I tried twitch and youtube both 1440p, 1080p and 60fps.

If you tried 'everything', that means you connected your PC to another ISP. What happened then?
That I couldn't do because... I don't know where I'd find another ISP just to test it

06:59:20.425: Output 'adv_stream': Number of dropped frames due to insufficient bandwidth/connection stalls: 6557 (32.4%)
What are you doing for real-time monitoring of your WAN/ISP link traffic? Is your computer or something else (PC, IoT device, etc) on LAN creating network traffic you don't expect?
Basically just checking if OBS is dropping frames or not and using the latency counter that the game provides. But I'd be willing to use some specific program to do it if you can point some out. It is my pc and it's the only pc on the house, it's cable connected and wifi I limit wifi to use only 15% of the bandwidth on our smartphones

What have you done to test sustained upload speed, to YT in your case or elsewhere (to confirm ISP isn't the issue... which it usually isn't)?
Just the usual speed test. I tried to find some long upload tests websites but I couldn't. You know a good one?

grepolis

@qhobbes
I just did another one with sample rate audio suggested from obs

qhobbes

AV1 may not support Dynamic Bitrate. When AV1 is selected as the Video Encoder for Streaming, go to Settings, Advanced, Network. If Dynamic Bitrate is available and enabled, it should look like this:
dynamic-bitrate.png

If that is not available, then AV1 doesn't support it. You'll either need to lower your bitrate to the point where you're not dropping frames or use HVEC or H.264.

grepolis

Yeah, I did select "av1" AND "Dynamically change" as you can see in this screenshot. But frame drop still happen

Attachments

• 1692913923571.png
    1692913923571.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 24

qhobbes

When Dynamic Bitrate is enabled and working, it should show it in the logs such as:

14:59:52.954: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] Dynamic bitrate enabled. Dropped frames begone!
Your log does not show that. Try using HVEC or H.264 with Dynamic Bitrate.

grepolis

Ooooh yes, you are right. I just tested and yes I can confirm that AV1 and HVEC still don't work with "Dynamically". I was only able to actually use it with H.264