Downscaling from 1440p to 1080p make sense for stream and recording?

Organik Patates

I have a 1440p monitor and I run games at that resolution. My base canvas is 1440p, the output is 1080p and I use Lanczos (36 samples) as a filter.

Is this a good choice for broadcasting and recording, or should I set my base canvas to 1080p and play games in 1080p to put less load on the system?

I also reduce my recordings from 1440p to 1080p and increase them to 1440p during editing so that they do not take up too much disk space.

In this way, YouTube provides vp9 codec and the quality does not decrease much.

PaiSand

The best you can do is set in video settings 1440p for canvas and output.
Then in the Output settings change it to advanced and in the Stream tab set the output scale to 1080p

This way you keep the quality on the recording and only downscale for the stream.
If the advanced output setting are greyed, then you need to disable Enhanced Broadcasting.

Of course, it all depends on you hardware capabilities.

Organik Patates

The best you can do is set in video settings 1440p for canvas and output.
Then in the Output settings change it to advanced and in the Stream tab set the output scale to 1080p

This way you keep the quality on the recording and only downscale for the stream.
If the advanced output setting are greyed, then you need to disable Enhanced Broadcasting.

Of course, it all depends on you hardware capabilities.
I was downscaling my recordings to 1080p so that they wouldn't take up space. Then I was upscaling them to 1440p. In that case, this is a stupid situation, as I understand.

Is there anything I can do about broadcasts? As I said, if I switch the games to 1080p, will the load on the GPU decrease?

İ have 7500F and Rtx 3070

koala

By uploading a 1920x1080 video upscaled to 2560x1440 you're deceiving your 1440p-capable viewers they get a high quality 2560x1440 video, while it's actually but a bloated up 1920x1080 one. This way you waste the bandwidth of these users, since a 1440p stream uses more bandwidth than a 1080p one. And you're wasting storage space on the video provider, because it will store an additional bloated up version of your video for no reason.

If your video is captured with 2560x1440, you should not downscale in the first place - upload your video with the original resolution! No quality lost.

PaiSand

Is there anything I can do about broadcasts? As I said, if I switch the games to 1080p, will the load on the GPU decrease?
Probably it get worst as this GPUs are optimized to work better on high resolutions, where you take advantage of the best features they have.
So, recordings will be directly into 1440p and the stream at 1080p. This way the you get the best of both scenarios.
As for disk space, lower a little the CQ quality and see how is affected. Between 18 to 20 CQ it still have good quality and you reduce the file size.

Of course, take into consideration that the CPU is kind of old and may affect the actual results. Always use the nvidia encoders. Never use the same as stream option in the recording tab. And most important to record into a M.2 SSD (PCI connection, not SATA) as you need all the bandwidth you can get in order to actually record even at 1080p.
Do some tests and see how it goes.

Organik Patates

By uploading a 1920x1080 video upscaled to 2560x1440 you're deceiving your 1440p-capable viewers they get a high quality 2560x1440 video, while it's actually but a bloated up 1920x1080 one. This way you waste the bandwidth of these users, since a 1440p stream uses more bandwidth than a 1080p one. And you're wasting storage space on the video provider, because it will store an additional bloated up version of your video for no reason.

If your video is captured with 2560x1440, you should not downscale in the first place - upload your video with the original resolution! No quality lost.

Probably it get worst as this GPUs are optimized to work better on high resolutions, where you take advantage of the best features they have.
So, recordings will be directly into 1440p and the stream at 1080p. This way the you get the best of both scenarios.
As for disk space, lower a little the CQ quality and see how is affected. Between 18 to 20 CQ it still have good quality and you reduce the file size.

Of course, take into consideration that the CPU is kind of old and may affect the actual results. Always use the nvidia encoders. Never use the same as stream option in the recording tab. And most important to record into a M.2 SSD (PCI connection, not SATA) as you need all the bandwidth you can get in order to actually record even at 1080p.
Do some tests and see how it goes.
Thanks guys. You both answered my questions and cleared up my confusion. Have a nice day!