Question / Help Choppy Gameplay Recording

tyrant2295

Hi,

I've been having this issue with OBS where gameplay recordings tend to lack smoothness, often becoming very choppy in the video. The choppiness is not present in the game, however. I've been watching my CPU load through OpenHardwareMonitor and the highest it has maxed out at has been about 52%. I just upgraded my FX-6300 to an i5-8500 because the 6300 was being maxed constantly, causing even more choppiness. The new CPU has helped, but I am still noticing the issue so am wondering if maybe it has something to do with the OBS settings rather than the hardware I am using. Using 16GB of DDR4 RAM and a GTX 1050ti, so I wouldn't think there would be any issue there. The games I've tested have been Rocket League, Remothered, and Dying Light (some pretty fast paced stuff). Here is my log: https://hastebin.com/voyilexofo

I figured since the settings are so specific to each build that I would make my own thread. I have tried disabling the preview window, as mentioned in another post, but that did not show much improvement.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Nothing particularly jumps out in that specific, outside you having changed:

Code:
YUV mode:          709/Full

I would recommend you set those settings back to the default of 601/partial to avoid compatibility issues.

I would also recommend that you switch back to Simple output mode, and use the recording presets:

1) Under Settings > Output, set the mode to Simple output.
2) In the recording section, change the Recording Quality to Indistinguishable Quality
3) Select NVENC as your encoder.

Next, make sure that you're using a proper media player to play back the files. Windows Media Player often struggles with video files created by OBS due to lack of proper codec support. Try a media player like VLC instead, and see if that helps the playback quality.

Lastly, you should not be recording directly to mp4. If you record to mp4 and the recording is interrupted, the file will be corrupted and unrecoverable. If you require mp4 files for some other purpose like editing, remux them afterwards by selecting File > Remux Recordings in the main OBS Studio window. If you're just uploading to YouTube or similar, you don't need to remux, they will be fine as flv or mkv for upload.