OBS Encoder Overloaded ERROR on Good PC PROBLEM.

Cloudnites

Hello everyone, thank you for coming here to try and help me. I do Youtube as a hobby and used to own a PC with the following specs

- CPU: I5 7400
-GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
- 16 gb ram 2400 mhz

Obs was fine, could record on 1920x1080 or even 3840x1080 ( to get the separate webcam and gameplay footage ) and everything was fine. No lag no Encoder Overloaded messages whatsoever.

Decided to Upgrade my PC now owning a machine that has these specs:

- CPU: I5 13400F
- GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700XT
- RAM: 32 GB 3200 mhz

Downloaded OBS and when I go to stop the recording, I see the error in the bottom of the obs hud thingy, and my video takes ages to stop. I can't seem to find any fixes for this and my PC should handle the load pretty good.

Things I've tried:

- Running OBS as Admin.
- Trying different encoders, from x264 to AMD HVENC x264 or even AMD HVENC x265.
- Tried CBR amounts from 9k to 50k.
- Tried changing to CQP on my GPU.
- Set priority to Above Normal.

The best result workaround I've found is that apparently if you only record footage close to 20 minutes, it's not running into the encoder overloaded error. But this sucks a lot because I don't want to start 100 recordings to get a 2 hour gameplay video.

Can anyone help me with this?

My respect, thank you very much

Attachments

• obs.png
    obs.png
    241.6 KB · Views: 43

PaiSand

Can you please upload and post or attach in here the log file of the session where this happened?

PaiSand

Inside Help menu you can access it. From here you can upload the current o previous logfile, or access the folder hwere it's stored for older sessions.
Here bellow you can find a button wich reads Attach files. Click on it and attach the file.

Cloudnites

Here we go, sorry a bit of a noob at this, these should be them, did a recording and didn't know which file was for it. Hopefully this helps

Attachments

• 2023-04-29 20-35-13.txt
    43.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 2023-04-29 21-13-58.txt
    61.7 KB · Views: 28

PaiSand

Do a thing to figure out if it was a misconfiguration on the advanced settings
Run the Auto-configuration Wizard (tools menu), tell it to make recording as main purpose and apply the settings it gives. Do not change a thing. Please, restart OBS. It is very important to restart. Of course, keep it on simple output mode.
Now do a test recording of at least 30 seconds. Just one test, so do all what you normally do in one session. This means, don't stop and start constantly, simple press start and do as you normaly do, then stop and use the upload tool inside Help menu so you can copy and paste the link here and click on the Analyze button so you can check it yourself.

PaiSand

Stay on simple and change the encoder for the AMD one.
Also, change the quality.
It's about testing, testing and testing.

Anyway, strange it don't detect and use AMD encoder. Are you sure it's correctly instaled?

Last edited:

Cloudnites

Will go for that, will change the encoder to the AMD one and boost up the bitrate and all,
Yeah it's correctly installed, I selected AMD encoder manually and I'm gonna try to see if it still works, changed the video resolution, bumped the bitrate and I'm curious if it works.
Nontheless, if it works or not, I wish you all the best in the world for helping me through these dark times :)

PaiSand

I meant, is the GPU drive correctly installed?
Some times it isn't and needs to be clean installed:

Also, you can run OBS with the launch parameter --verbose so the log get some extra info in it.

I noticed you're using a non standard aspec ratio. Please, use only an standard aspect ratio. Start using your default monitor resolution.

Last edited:

Cloudnites

Hmm the problem seems to be on the GPU side for some reason, even tho it's a beast GPU, whenever I use it to encode I get the encoder overloaded error. When I try using my CPU on the other hand, everything seems to be running smooth, I dunno what the cause of this is. This GPU should be able to handle game recording with ease.

Poegle

You may be experiencing what I have, although I have no reference to encoder overload and it gets stuck 'stopping recording' and I have to kill the process in task manager. What I have found is it's something to do with OBS and latest few version of AMD drivers. It will record fine using the auto wizard on simple mode but changing to advanced causes it to break; doesn't matter what settings I use it refuses to record using advanced mode, even if I try and replicate the simple mode settings.

Rolling back drivers to say 22.5.1, OBS works perfectly again and I can use advanced mode recording in CQP. However, I have in game performance issues with that driver and the releases after it. The latest AMD drivers I get way more performance but I am unable to record anything in advanced using OBS.

Poegle

Hey just updated OBS to the latest version and the issue I was facing is now resolved it seems and can record in advanced again on the latest AMD drivers. Give updating a go may fix your issue.