Question / Help OBS Drops Frames on NVENC Encoder, Shadowplay Does Not

NotInTheBox

Hi!

I know there's been questions about this before but I can't for the life of me find a fix. NVIDIA Shadowplay is great, and records my games (Star Wars Battlefront 2015 is being used as a baseline for these tests) at 1080p around 60FPS. Of course, the supported games list isn't too long and since I'm wanting to edit the footage I record without using Handbrake to manage the variable frame rate Shadowplay uses, I've decided to get OBS Studio.

Sadly, even with the NVIDIA NVENC encoder (the exact same one Shadowplay uses) OBS drops a lot of frames and I can't figure out why, as my game still runs perfectly with OBS recording. I was hoping one of you lovely people could help me fix my (probably stupidly set up) settings? I've included a log file from my last recording, which I managed to get to record pretty smoothly in most places but it still drops a lot of frames in others.

Attachments

• LogFile.txt
    67.5 KB · Views: 54

Narcogen

ShadowPlay and OBS work in entirely different ways, and this means OBS requires more GPU power for rendering. Shadowplay basically just writes frames from the buffer. The load for running it is practically nothing.

OBS can composite multiple arbitrary sources into a single stream; it can encode for the same low load as ShadowPlay by using NVENC, but before it can encode, it needs to render each frame again-- even if you're not using its compositing abilities to add more sources or layers. If you're just recording straight gameplay, you'll always be able to push your rig harder with ShadowPlay than you can get away with on OBS.

11:06:09.835: Windows Version: 10.0 Build 15063 (revision: 1387; 64-bit)

Windows is out of date.

11:11:13.324: Output 'adv_file_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 124 (2.8%)
11:20:25.539: Output 'adv_file_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 101 (4.8%)
11:13:31.694: Output 'adv_file_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 2439 (49.9%)

GPU overload. Your frames are dropping before the encoder; your encoder settings aren't the issue.

https://obsproject.com/wiki/GPU-overload-issues